The Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Boot Camp Program is a 6-week training program that has been clinically tested to significantly improve pain, walking distance, and overall function, both in the short and long term.
Learn how to implement this clinically proven program for your patients/clients. Includes step-by-step instruction on all specific manual therapy techniques, exercises, and self-management strategies and how to deliver the program in your clinic/office/studio. Includes digital workbook, demonstration videos, implementation guide, FAQs, Ten Facts about LSS, and Evidence FACT SHEET.
What is Lumbar Spinal Stenosis?
LSS is a common condition usually caused by spinal osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis causes narrowing or stenosis of the central and/or lateral spinal canals and can lead to compression of the spinal nerves. LSS is a leading cause of pain, disability and loss of independence in older adults. An estimated 280 million seniors suffer from LSS worldwide and this number is expected to double in the next 30 years.
What are the symptoms?
- Most common symptom is buttock and leg pain with or without back pain
- The dominant impairment is standing and walking ability.
- Limited walking leads to a sedentary lifestyle and increased risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, and premature death.
- Limited mobility also leads to isolation, depression and hopelessness that further deepens disability.
- Only 4% of people with LSS meet the minimum daily requirement of physical activity.
- Even small improvements in mobility can have a profound effect on the overall health of this population.
What are the current treatments?
- Surgery for LSS can be effective for leg-dominant symptoms but not usually for back pain. Surgical benefits for LSS diminish over time and there is an increased risk for complications.
- Spinal injections for LSS do not usually help with symptoms of LSS or only provide small and/or short-term benefits.
- There is insufficient evidence for the benefits of oral medication including pregabalin, gabapentin and anti-inflammatories.
- Published clinical trials show that the Boot Camp program for LSS is effective in improving walking ability, reducing pain and improving overall function both in the short and long term.
Why learn the Online Boot Camp Program for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis?
- Provides clients/patients with the knowledge, skill, and self-confidence to manage LSS for the rest of their lives.
- 6-week program includes education, manual therapy, and instruction on specific exercises and self-management strategies.
- Delivered using a cognitive-behavioral approach to change behaviours, attitudes, and beliefs and mitigate negative expectations
- 85% of patients who complete the program show clinically important improvements that are sustained in the long-term
- Program tools include the Spinemobility Bolster and pedometer
- Learn how to use the Spinemobility Bolster and pedometer.